ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Off Topic Comment Collector

Feel free to crap all over this comment thread with whatever you want.  I want as many comments as possible, for use in testing improvements.

39 Comments:

Anonymous patrick kelly September 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM  

RUSH is gay !!

Anonymous Forrest Bishop VFM #0167 September 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM  

Um, I can't think of anything to say but I really like seeing my word in print & stuff.

Anonymous Anonymous September 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM  

Star Wars would totally kick Star Trek's ass. *g*

Anonymous patrick kelly September 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM  

Is this a brialliant secret ploy by double agent minion to syphon off attention from Vox's blog...it just might work on me.

(spelling error left on purpose)

Blogger Matthew September 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM  

Also, leave Anonymous comments if you wish. I have secret plans and clever tricks in mind for dealing with them.

Anonymous Anonymous September 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM  

automatthew is evil, mean, nasty, and also smells bad.

Blogger Daniel September 4, 2015 at 10:51 AM  

...The hell? Is this Phil Sandifer's crawl space?

Anonymous Anonymous September 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM  

Why does Anonymous remain an option if its use is verboten?

Blogger Matthew September 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM  

Because Blogger is stupid and inflexible.

If Vox disables Anonymous commenting, that also disables the Name/URL function. He's done that at Alpha Game Plan, but does not want to do that at VP.

Blogger's commenting system is super retarded.

Blogger maniacprovost September 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM  

I am going to recommend this comic to our buddy Phil.
https://psylockescans.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/because-she-is-a-little-girl-i-am-excited-sexually-chapter-1/

Blogger Cee September 4, 2015 at 3:05 PM  

I want to look at manicprovost's URL, but the c/p hijack for comment threading now makes that impossible without dropping it into another document to strip the HTML.

Any way to force the commenting system to automagically recognize URLs and turn them into links? Alternately, can we get Malwyn to start a training program to get the VFM to write proper links instead of just dumping URLs everywhere?

Blogger Cee September 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM  

Or more correctly I should say "without editing the HTML off"; I can do that by c/ping to the comment window, of course, but I can't drop it into my address bar as-is.

Blogger Uncle Fester September 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM  

Glock Rules.

Anonymous Anonymous September 4, 2015 at 6:48 PM  

I had to break up with my girlfriend yesterday. It was difficult but thankfully all that other shit was going on and it softened the blow a bit.

Anonymous LurkingPuppy September 4, 2015 at 7:14 PM  

VFM #0209* said:
Glock Rules.


And Emacs is so much better than vi. Except for those times that only ed will do.


Cee said:
but I can't drop it into my address bar as-is.


On Linux, if you just select text, then click the middle mouse button (which pastes the most recent selection, which might not be the same as the contents of the clipboard), it pastes without automatthew's HTML-wrapping hack.

Blogger Uncle Fester September 4, 2015 at 7:16 PM  

I think I'm gonna like this blog.

Anonymous LurkingPuppy September 4, 2015 at 7:54 PM  

But automagical linkification of URLs would certainly make things easier for folks with ‘mobile devices’ (i.e. touchscreen toys).

Anonymous Blogger September 4, 2015 at 8:23 PM  

"Because Blogger is stupid and inflexible."

"Blogger's commenting system is super retarded."

I'm not retarded you are.

Anonymous Mavwreck September 4, 2015 at 10:36 PM  

Brady has been vindicated!

Blogger SciVo September 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM  

@ cglasgow99: Star Trek was able to have a crossover with X-Men. Clearly, it's balanced and Star Wars is overpowered. Of course, DC is so ridiculous that it would kick Star Wars's ass with one hand tied behind its back (not that anything but the Lasso of Truth could bind it anyway).

Anonymous patrick kelly September 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM  

captcha test, not liking me lately

Anonymous patrick kelly September 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM  

that one worked from chrome, when I use Iron I get the one with checkboxes, blurry images, and when it gets to the part to past in some code in the blank box, the blank box is already filled, and I can't ever publish.

wtf?!?!?

Anonymous WaterBoy September 11, 2015 at 2:00 PM  

Testing a link to a comment in a different thread, which seemed to get it spammed when I tried it previously.

Might not have the same issue because this one is cross-blog, but I'm still curious to see what happens.

Anonymous WaterBoy September 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM  

Now testing a link to a comment in this thread, to see if there's any difference.

Anonymous WaterBoy September 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM  

Both of them remained. If there's an issue with certain links in Blogger, it's apparently blog-specific....maybe based on spam rules?

Anonymous LurkingPuppy September 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM  

I want as many comments as possible, for use in testing improvements. [tags added manually]

So the magic doesn't (currently) work for copies from the post itself, only copies from other comments.

Maybe it'll work tomorrow, or next week.


Anonymous LurkingPuppy September 15, 2015 at 11:50 PM  

It's too bad the BIG BLACK ANGLICISM-FOR-ROOSTER crapflood today couldn't have been redirected here— that firehose might have pushed this page to the 201 comments that automatthew seems to want on this page for testing purposes, all in one swell foop.

Anonymous LurkingPuppy September 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM  

Regarding the discussion of pseudonymity vs. sockpuppetry on http://voxday.blogspot.com/2015/09/doxxing-and-outing-is-bad.html :

I take quite a dim view of the (intentional) use of multiple identities within a single community, but it might be okay if those identities are conscientiously not used to discuss the same topics. (Wikipedia's policy on sockpuppetry was quite well thought-out the last time I thought I might care enough about WP to learn about its policies.)

But there are a few exceptions in cases where there is obviously no intent to deceive, e.g. when necessary as the gag of a joke.

Anonymous Stuffed Goldtoe September 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM  

LurkingPuppy said:
but it might be okay if those identities are conscientiously not used to discuss the same topics.


Nuh-uh! All pseudonyms are sockpuppets!

Anonymous Grippy Sole September 16, 2015 at 12:03 AM  

Stuffed Goldtoe said:
Nuh-uh! All pseudonyms are sockpuppets!


I totally 100% agree with you, Goldtoe! And I think we're clearly in the majority!

Anonymous WaterBoy September 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM  

LurkingPuppy @28: "I take quite a dim view of the (intentional) use of multiple identities within a single community, but it might be okay if those identities are conscientiously not used to discuss the same topics."

I do occasionally use different identities on the VP blog, including one-offs used for sarcasm or humor, but I only have one other besides this which I use on a semi-regular basis. And as you suggested, the other has a very specific purpose.

Even then, I ensure that I don't use them both in the same post (which is the most damning aspect of sockpuppetry), and I intentionally embed a tell (not so obvious as Idle ----, but distinctive nonetheless) so that the observant will know the other is me.

Anonymous WaterBoy September 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM  

@ automatthew

As far as linking to comments goes, I don't understand why you don't use the mechanism which is already provided, via the comment permalink (example goes to current comment 1).

If the prospect of building href tags manually is too daunting for some (most?) people, perhaps modifying your current helper system would suffice. When the comment is submitted using the @nn, the nn could be traced to the Blogger permalink, which is used to replace the @nn placeholder.

This also has the added benefit of not pointing back to an incorrect comment if the number changes.

Just a thought....

Anonymous LurkingPuppy September 16, 2015 at 12:30 PM  

WaterBoy said:
When the comment is submitted using the @nn, the nn could be traced to the Blogger permalink,


But he can't do anything at the time that comments are submitted. The @ hack is purely client-side JavaScript. (And so is the add-HTML-tags-on-copy feature on this test blog.)

Blogger Unknown September 16, 2015 at 1:14 PM  

WaterBoy said:
When the comment is submitted using the @nn, the nn could be traced to the Blogger permalink, which is used to replace the @nn placeholder.


That's sort of where it's headed, I think, although LurkingPuppy is right, nothing can be done inside the comment box. Any manipulation, like what's done here with the copy/pasting, has to be done before the pasting.

The other problem with that is cross-page linking when a post spans multiple pages of comments, and it's not possible for the link-creating/linking code on one page to find the permalink on another page. But I have some ideas about that which may work around it.

Anonymous WaterBoy September 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM  

Lurking Puppy @33: "The @ hack is purely client-side JavaScript."

I see.

"(And so is the add-HTML-tags-on-copy feature on this test blog.)"

...which doesn't work for me, BTW -- it's why I'm still using my standard comment format.

However, if it's possible to hijack the copy-paste feature for comment text, couldn't it also be used for copy-pasting the permalink URL? On IE, I need only right-click on the permalink and select 'Copy shortcut' to get it on the clipboard. It seems like the same client-side script could similarly be used to create the HTML tag for an href around it when I paste it, couldn't it?

Anonymous WaterBoy September 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM  

Cail Corishev @34: "The other problem with that is cross-page linking when a post spans multiple pages of comments, and it's not possible for the link-creating/linking code on one page to find the permalink on another page."

See above. In short, the script wouldn't need to find the permalink as the user would already provide it via copy-paste.

The only difference between the HTML created by the @ tag and the permalink is below (using your comment #34):

@ tag:

http://vilefacelessmoderator.blogspot.com/2015/09/off-topic-comment-collector.html?showComment=1442435390734#comment-34

permalink:

http://vilefacelessmoderator.blogspot.com/2015/09/off-topic-comment-collector.html?showComment=1442435390734#c7596847340942719272

The string is the same except for the last component. Creating it in the script should be almost the same; only the reference method would need to change. It works on multi-page comments, and it doesn't back-reference incorrect comments when previous posts are deleted.

The only question is what happens if the permalink-referenced comment is itself deleted...? I suspect it would go to the top of the page, but not sure.

If y'all have been up and down and all around on the permalink angle already, feel free to tell me to shut up. It won't hurt my fee-fees....

Anonymous WaterBoy September 16, 2015 at 3:17 PM  

@ Cail

Heh...just saw in the other thread that you're already brain-deep in this project yourself, so I'll just shut up on my own, now.

Blogger SirHamster September 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM  

FYI, noticed a side effect of the copy/paste hijack - trying to copy URLs and pasting them gets completely borked.

Yeah, people should just use html tags to link; palemoon and firefox have the ability to open pages from the highlighted URL. But it's still an unhappy surprise.

Blogger Matthew January 27, 2016 at 2:18 PM  

SirHamster (#201) wrote:Yeah, people should just use html tags to link; palemoon and firefox have the ability to open pages from the highlighted URL. But it's still an unhappy surprise.


Do it work?

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.
DO NOT RESPOND TO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. You will be punished.
Rules of the blog

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts